The Magic Rope
The Magic Rope is one of my favorite icebreakers.
There is so much in it and a lot can happen.
The intention of the exercise is that the group gets a short assignment and that the assignment is only successful when everyone has done it.
After that, I let the group choose a challenge.
With this I stimulate the team to be self-steering.
This activity promotes:
Time: 20 – 30 min
Participants: 8 or more
Inside and outside
1 large rope and 1 or 2 people to turn the rope(2 turners if the rope can not be attached anywhere).
Set all participants on one side of the rope (keep the sun in mind)
Tell the participants that they get assignments and that these are only successful when it has been successfully completed by the whole group. The assignments start very easily and slowly become increasingly more difficult.
How it works:
The assignment is as follows:
- Try to get to the other side of the rope without touching the rope.
- First keep the rope still right above the ground ,so they can step over it. Repeat this with the rope twice. The second timeYou hold it up high enough, as a result they will have to walk underneath. But if they are smart, they run around it. This is allowed.
- Keep turning the rope from now on and adjust the assignment;
- First every time the rope turns around one person has to go under the rope.
- Second go to the other side with 2 people at a time.
- Now every time the rope turns around, there must be 4 people underneath.
- After that go with 8 people and then with everybody.
- Let the participants to make a plan to go underneath the rope at the same time. After they made it and told you, the instructor, they aren’t allowed to talk anymore.
Vary with the rules: Every time the rope turns, 1, 2, or more must pass under the rope.
You can have some participants blindfolded. So that it becomes more exciting.
Make duo’s and let them invent there own assignment.
What happened? (this is asking for actual behavior)
How do you feel about it?
What have you learned?
Try to avoid wet undergrounds. Also if someone touches the rope, then let loose of the rope.